News

WE GO THE EXTRA MILE. EVERY DAY.

Demand for Cyber Security set to increase ‘significantly’ for 2018

  2nd January 2018       Charmaine Padfield
 Accounting & Finance, Human Resources, IT & Software Solutions, Office & Commercial, Recruitment

Demand for cyber security staff will increase over the next year, according to all recruitment agencies surveyed by the Recruitment & Employment Confederation (REC). The majority (81%) predict that demand will increase “significantly”. However, according to 81% of recruitment businesses, the UK workforce is unlikely to meet demand in cyber security in the next year. Only 16% believe that it is likely demand will be met. Cyber security roles have also been reported as difficult to fill due to candidate shortages for eight out of the past nine months according to the REC’s monthly Report on Jobs survey of recruiters. The shortage of candidates to fill the increasing number of roles in cyber security means that pay is likely to rise. 94% of recruiters predict that pay for cyber security staff will increase over the next year, while the remaining 6% expect it will remain unchanged.

REC chief executive Kevin Green comments:
“With several high profile cyber-attacks this year, it’s no surprise that demand for cyber security staff is set to increase. However, there are very few people with the skills needed, so employers will be competing with each other for the limited talent. The good news for people working in cyber security is they could well see a pay increase next year as a result.

“Employers need to think realistically about how to fill roles if they are to protect themselves from debilitating cyber-attacks. This means they should make the most of transferrable skills and create training opportunities which would benefit employees and new applicants.

“The responsibility also lies with government. We think the Apprenticeship Levy should become a broader training levy so that employers can use this funding to develop the skills that they are desperate for. Long term, we need to see better careers guidance in schools about cyber security roles. And right now, we need to maintain access to the best people from around the world to create a secure environment where British businesses can flourish.”

Charmaine Padfield

Managing Consultant

Charmaine’s extensive recruitment career started in 2001. Heading up our IT Recruitment Division, Charmaine has an uncanny knack of sourcing uniquely skilled talent for our clients and this is coupled with a tenacity and a great work ethic resulting in many recruitment success stories. Her ability to stay calm when …


Keep in touch
telephone